Thursday 16 May 2013

Time for the boots to feel like lead!

So the year of 2013 is about getting rid of any niggles that I encounter through upping my mileage, upping my mileage, completing a few more marathons and generally trying out a few races prior to 2014. Some of the weekends next year are going to be 2 marathon weekends. This coming weekend I plan to have as one of them.

In 2012 I did the White Peak Marathon having not run for about 3 months with working on our house. It went ok, apart from the body struggling from mile 15 onwards but I got round, helped by my cousin Sam. Its not the most exciting marathon being on the disused railway tracks of the Tissington Trail and the High Peak Trail but it makes up for this with a friendly atmosphere and great views of the White Peak. This race takes place on a Saturday and the Leaden Boot Challenge is on the Sunday.

Any way I didn't know anything about the LBC so I thought I would go up last weekend and run the first half on Saturday and the 2nd half on the Sunday. Mainly because the instructions were a bit wordy and I didn't want to get lost. The actual race is on this Sunday and its going to be tough due to the terrain but we'll see what sort of time I complete it with and whether its suitable to run the day after the WPM. I recovered well from both halfs and have done 5 short runs since then. Trouble is I've picked up a cold now from the kids so its going to be interesting!!