Sunday 14 September 2014

Marathon 31 was nice the nice local Chesterfield Marathon

So a good few months ago I had this done as somewhat of an A race. I don't often get to do a tarmac run and especially this close to home, so on the back of all the endurance work I have been doing I was looking for big things from this race. Unfortunately other life things crept in and a fair degree more stress than usual, a lack of sleep and a rubbish diet left me feeling heavy slow and tired before the gun had even gone.. 26.2 miles is a long way to go normally but crikey when ya feel like you're wearing lead boots its even more daunting. Mind you it was never going to be as bad as number 26!
Anyway on getting to the line good an early I noticed some sort of blue stripy worm about 50 yards away limbering up.. Anyway next I no he's standing next to me trying to shake my hand. It was only me old mate Dave, dressed up actually as a Smurf and raising money for Parkinsons UK. (Despite the fancy dress, he actually went on to smash it and won the half marathon by a country mile). Congrats Dave and hopefully we will bump into each other next spring down in London!
Back to today. Tough day but plodded along trying to get used to not having to look where my feet were going. I stopped regularly and had a few chats to the people in the water stations and some of the paramedics and even walked some of the hills towards the end and eventually finished in 3:27 which brought me home in 39th. Happy with that considering. But this afternoon since then the legs feel battered. I mean properly battered. Last weekend after the 57k Gritstone Grind, I felt fine, didn't stiffen up on the journey home and felt great over the next 36 hours or so. Amazing the difference other factors have on our physiology.. Not to be underestimated.
So review of the day. Great organisation. Awesome course and well marshalled. The start was early to ensure that the Town could be opened up again quickly. There will always be disorganised and disgruntled drivers you will whinge. But hey, the signage was good leading up to the day and the information on the website for drivers was great. If they choose to ignore the signs then so be it. I feel for some of the marshalls on the course who had obviously kindly volunteered their time to assist with the event but instead bore the brunt of the impatient and frustrated drivers. Well done chaps from remaining professional and helping out as best you can. On the whole the run through the suburbs was greatly supported and loads of people had come out to cheer us on or give us sweets or high 5's. There were some dark bits though and those were on the northern side around the trading estate which was pretty miserable and seemingly unending. Especially at a natural low point in the race as your physiology is changing. Tough. Very Tough.
Having said that any down sides of a road marathon around a town or city which is kind of inevitable was overshadowed by the fantastic land marks that were visited. OK so it is 'only' ChezVagas but I feel that the towns wonky spire can give any bell tower or church spire a run for its money. We even visited a nice water park on the way back in just before a MASSIVE hill or in actual fact series of hills. Fast Course... my arse.. Then to drop down past the fancy buildings and cross the bridge into the electric Queens Park was brilliant. Inspired last mile with the multi rings of the cricket pitch was great for spectators and runners alike. All in all a good day and great to complete 31 marathons in 27 weeks and vaguely in one piece. Did I say that my legs were battered!! Usually I quite like a gentle jog back to the car or a fast jog. This was a hobble, at best. But mind you I think I used all my energy by mile 3 today. That was my first rest point!!

Hopefully this week will be better than last and the legs will recover well ready for 4 laps of The Stanage Struggle. An event I have been looking forward to all year. Tough, stunning, starting from home. What more can you want.. Oh yeah assistance along the way. Ive got a few provisional helpers and one definite. Looking forward to it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.