Sunday 27 October 2013

Hathersage to Derby following the Derwent Valley Heritage Way (Mostly)

Yet again a glorious day, and a perfect day for a run from Hathersage to Derby. Luckily I had the kind support of Ben to carry my kit, food and water and even stop me routinely to keep up my energy. I certainly couldn't have done it without him. Katie even managed to have a roast dinner waiting for us on arrival. The route is great other than the stretches on the A6 that were pretty mind numbing. In fact also the time when it did drizzle coincided with that stretch on the A6.

From a previous walk of the route, the massive climb through Matlock was ditched to stay on the flat. Maybe next time this will have to be added. From a profile of the route, I pretty much had to plod down hill all the way there. Sounds easy doesn't it!
Felt really good throughout most of this route with mainly an ache on stopping and getting started again. Almost came a cropper with in half k of the end point as whilst a photo was being taken, Ben currently riding the bike one handed and taking a photo one handed, careered into me pushing me into a lamppost and a bush. Luckily avoiding any serious trauma. To get back home I must remember to check the train times prior to be dropped off at the train station!

This is definitely a route I plan to do again next year and I suppose I should have a go at the Northern reverse route! It'll be a fair old challenge and understandably considerably harder than Southbound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.